Woolworths Group has been awarded Gold tier status at the Australian LGBTI Inclusion Awards for the second year running.
The event recognises Australia’s top organisations for LGBTI inclusion and celebrates leaders, individuals and networks that have made a significant impact on LGBTI inclusion within their workplaces.
Award status is based on the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI). Now in its ninth year, AWEI is a benchmark used to measure LGBTI inclusion in the workplace.
The event is held every year to coincide with International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.
Woolworths was the only retailer to attain Gold tier status at the 2019 awards.
The Woolworths team at the 2019 Australian LGBTI Inclusion Awards
“We are delighted to be recognised as a gold tier workplace by AWEI for a second year in a row and extremely proud of the work we have undertaken to progress LGBTI inclusion in the workplace and the efforts of our teams across the Group,” said Rachel Mead, Woolworths Group head of diversity and inclusion.
Mead said creating an inclusive culture is a huge priority for Woolworths, adding that while they still have more work to do, they are fully committed to continuing to create better experiences for their LGBTI team members.
“We want all our team members to feel free to bring their whole selves to work,” she noted.
Some recent initiatives Woolworths has undertaken to progress LGBTI inclusion in the workplace include:
- Continuing educational LGBTI events and training sessions for team members and leaders
- Hosting a diversity roundtable and networking event
- Growing the Proud at Woolworths Group to 2000+ members
- Celebrating Wear it Purple Day across the Group, nationwide
- Partnering with the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras in 2019 with teams participating in their first Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade this year
- Launching LGBTI inclusion training online to improve access for all team members
- Hosting a guest panel event to mark Transgender Day of Rememberance to drive transgender awareness and inclusion across the Group
- Inclusion of a double-page spread on LGBTI inclusion in Woolworths Group Sustainability Report.