27 January, 2020

Mentors meet to discuss progress and resilience

Mentors meet to discuss progress and resilience

Drinks industry leaders taking part in the inaugural drinks Mentoring Program 2017 have praised the positive impact it has had on both themselves and their mentees.

Campari Sales Director Brad Madigan noted that he was surprised by how much he had gained out of the program, after initially expecting it would be more about encouraging his mentee.

The mentors gathered for a mid-point check-in at the Sonar Room at Sydney's Luna Park last week.

They discussed the level of interaction they'd had with their mentees, the practical insights they'd been able to impart and expectations moving forward. 

Moving from immediate issues the big picture

Many of the mentors had been able to have "fantastic tactical discussions" about immediate issues their mentees were experiencing, but were reminded by program facilitator Bianca Havas about the importance of not focussing too much on the day-to-day. Exploring career direction was also vital.

Havas discussed how to formulate powerful questions to help mentees come up with their own answers to solve issues and career stumbling blocks. 

"Your role isn't to solve their problems," she noted. 

Havas said seeing that "aha!" moment when a mentee reflected on their learnings and effectively embedded change in their behaviour as "the mentor's gift out of the process."

Networking is key

All the mentors agreed that networking was a key factor in career progression.

They also said mentees needed to remember that networking is a two-way street - they shouldn't underestimate the fresh insights and different perspectives they could offer to the industry.

The mentors' tip on getting started on the networking journey was to join committees and groups that exposed them to good contacts. 

By actively participating in those groups, and establishing a rapport with the members, the mentees could add value to their network. 

The power of resilience

Havas discussed the Iceberg Model, a thinking tool designed to help an individual or group discover the patterns of behaviour, supporting structures, and mental models underlying a particular event. Only 10% of an iceberg is visible, while the other 90% is beneath the water.
In other words, while an individual’s competencies (skills/knowledge) are visible, attitudes, traits, self-image, and motives are hidden beneath the surface.

These motivation drivers impact on how work is done and explain the impact of employees’ performance and actions in the workplace. What is visible to the organisation is behaviour, but below is what is actually driving behaviour. Understanding that can make the difference in the overall success personally and as a company.

By building new habitual behaviour patterns beneath the iceberg, mentees can embed change, build resilience and progress their careers. 

Four steps to change 

Havas outlined the self-directed path that mentees can take to establish new behaviour patterns and build resilience.

1. Re-label

Identifying a deceptive brain message

2. Reframe

Reframing this message as unfounded/unhelpful

3. Refocus

Refocussing on positive messages/beliefs

4. Revalue

Understanding how this can impact on your resilence

Pictured (main): CCA's Sally Byrne and Bianca Havas